Skip to main content

Flip-Flops are for the Beach, Gym Shoes are for the GYM

Hello friends,

So as summer is nearing its final chapters I have a few things to discuss with you.  This post is about men.  men and footwear.  Now, I find myself to be a person who cares about particulars, style and how things appear, because reasons, because FABULOUS, because Hollywood.

So in that regard, here are some rules I have compiled for men.  Now as a lady who has always been, "more Hollywood" than her San Diego friends and fam and a "fashionista - personal shopper" for my Los Angeles friends, I can only hope you will heed my wisdom.

Flip Flops
ARE YOU AT THE BEACH? OK sweet so glad you brought your flip flops, bro.  OH YOU'RE AT A BAR? OH YOU ARE GOING TO BRUNCH? OH YOU ARE GOING TO WORK, DINNER, ON A DATE, TO MEET MY PARENTS, EXISTING?...... Then you better be not wearing flip flops.  Man feet, hairy tufts on man feet, yeah, I know.  I don't want to see that and neither does anyone else.  Flip flops should never be worn with a pair of jeans...this is not 2004, you do not need Rainbows or Sevens, wear real shoes like a real man.

Beachy time, pool time, walking on the boardwalk is the only time Flip Flops are actually acceptable on a grown male.  They go best with shorts, board shorts.  

There is nothing more disgusting that frayed jeans at the foot with gross flip flops in a nice restaurant and a bro being upset they couldn't get into the restaurant, club or bar.  Grow up and buy some dress shoes, loafers or designer sneaks.



Hi Hobbit, guess who is not getting laid...?


Gym Shoes
Are you going to the gym? AWESOME, you better have your workout shoes on! 

Are you doing anything else...?  Under no circumstances should white or gray gym sneakers be worn with jeans or dress pants.  There are so many choices out there, hell I'd be down with some Timberland boots over running shoes any day.  I get you're a dude and you don't care.  I get that, but you probably are also one of those lazy people that doesn't want to put in any effort.  In that case, if you wanna be THAT GUY, then you definitely don't belong in Los Angeles, as everyone here is fabulous.  

Dating in Los Angeles is difficult enough as it is, competition is high and how you hold yourself is super important.  Dressing well is key.  Don't need to be designer, but if you wear a nice pair of Nike sneakers that aren't for the gym, they are for style with your jeans, you'll be in much better shape.  If you're going on a date you got your dress shoes, you got your sneaks and you got your hi-tops, choose accordingly, but please for love of God be a MAN and not a BOY and LEAVE YOUR GYM SHOES IN YOUR GYM BAG.

I THINK IM GOING TO BARF 
 (who cares about your tiny racecar, ew shoes Seinfeld)

I'm sure there are a bunch of other rules that I cannot think of, but these are my two main ones involving men and whether of not they'll ever be dateable.  Women put in a lot of effort to look the way we do, not just for ourselves but for our partners.  The least you can do is wear shoes that a Grown man would wear. <3

-xo,
       @alexinhwood





Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To be or not to be...different

Uh oh. Here comes another anecdotal and self-aware journal entry blog post. Yup. You guessed it. So, shall we?

via GIPHY
A lot has changed. New year, new President, new ban, new ideas...yet I am still me. New endeavors are in the midst.

I have since decreased most of my medications. And now I'm more me than I have been in 3 years. It's good and bad. I stopped therapy due to not having insurance but plan to go back once I find a new doc on my plan. Starting over....ugh. Not going to be fun.

But here I want to write down my struggle. I struggle to be who I think I need to be and who I am naturally. It's not about being cool or fitting in at this point. I already know I have a lot of "personality." About enough for two or three people. That's either your thing or it's not. Some call it quirky, unique, crazy, lots of different things. I've always had to edit myself in crowds and at work, in school...everywhere. That is why being on the stage was so easy for…

Candwich is back...back again!

The Candwich - Sandwich in a Can
The Candwich - Novelty? Gag Gift? Joke? Lunch? I'd say all of the above. This "sandwich in a can" is definitely silly and weird and I can't tell if it's the best thing in the world or the worst thing in world. Irregardless, I have had the opportunity of working with the Founder, Mark Kirkland, or as some call him the "Earl of Candwich." He is a genuine person and truly wants to give back and help "can" hunger. Mark is no stranger to controversy and has had his fair share of hiccups along the way in building his Candwich-opoly.

A Viral Sensation
Candwich went viral in 2010 when the New York Times broke the story about a rogue investor who ran a Ponzi Scheme and stole upwards of $145 million from creditors who wanted to invest in Mark One Foods Corp, Candwich's parent company. It took a long time to settle with creditors but Mark has successfully regained control of Candwich and wants to bring his sandwich in …

So this is thirty...

So this is thirty. I haven't been writing much because what you probably don't know is that my new job is to write. It's silly and something I fell into and I'd like for this blog and my many, many years of needing to express myself and tell stories to go into me finding this path. Once a storyteller, always a storyteller. I like to believe that this is true. Since I was young, I have had so much to say. More than most can keep up with. With that, I either entertained and wowed you or sent you running for the hills. Either way, I've learned from the cues and have worked to know where I fit in and when not to speak but when to write down. It started with journals, then poems, then songs, then this blog, more songs, and then I stopped. I transitioned from vomiting feelings on the page to thinking more strategically for an audience and thinking about my brand what I wanted to say to people who follow me. I don't know who realllly follows me, but if I w…