Skip to main content

Movies that Wow'd me in 2010

BLACK SWAN
"The only thing in your way, is yourself."  Like most of Darren Aronofsky's films, paranoia and internal crisis plague the protagonist.  Captured beautifully and contagiously anxious, Natalie Portman is the force behind this dark tale.  It showcases the world of ballet and the strive towards an impossible perfection. 

Natalie Portman vs. Natalie Portman in BLACK SWAN
source: Beyond Hollywood
INCEPTION
Chris Nolan, Hans Zimmer and Leonardo DiCaprio make a good combination.  Not only does this meta film play upon it's layers within its layers, the viewer is left to interpret their own idea of reality within this reality.  Makes you question what you know to be real and what is actually real.  Stunning spectacle and brilliant acting, this sci-fi thriller leaves you on the edge of your seat saying "what the fuck just happened...?"

Inception
Source: A Life in Equinox http://univarn.blogspot.com/

THE SOCIAL NETWORK
It would be silly not to mention this probable Oscar-Winner.  David Fincher is able to bring action and suspense to a very human story of betrayal and connection, albeit digital and interpersonal relationships.  A brilliant ensemble and a beautiful and might I add, memorable cinemotgraphy, this film represents our generation and a new way we can relate to each other. "It was never about the money."

The Social Network
Source: lailalalami.com

REMEMBER ME
Robert Pattinson and Emile de Ravin fall into an unlikely romance.  While it seems to become a typical romantic drama it shows a relationship's highs and lows and drops a bomb on you by its end.  I haven't cried that hard in a very long time.  The film pulled me in and I truly cared for it's flawed lovebirds. 

Remember Me
Source: Teaser-Trailer.com
HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON
Animated films are not just for kids anymore.  I kept hearing people my age say they loved this film, so I had to check it out despite my original apathy towards what I thought was just a kid's movie.  It was adorable but had a good story.  The animation was superb and I bet it was awesome in 3-D.  I know this movie is enjoyed for its humor and feel good storytelling and now all I know is, I wish I could have a Night Fury Dragon.  This movie surprised and impressed me and I loved it as it shows that even when you don't fit in, you can shine through your talents and surprise yourself.

How to Train Your Dragon
Source: collider.com
GET HIM TO THE GREEK
A sort of sequel to FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL with the reprise of Aldous Snow, I wasn't sure if this would be over-kill.  Fortunately this movie was irreverant and high-larious as per usual with the likes of Russell Brand, Jonah Hill and P Diddy, who legit has a funny-bone.  This drug-friendly, raucous adventure left the theater feeling hungover from all the laughs that kept a constant high. 
Get Him to the Greek
Source: Screen-rant.com
BLUE VALENTINE
This honest portayal of life and marriage leaves you in search of a happy ending.  A "slice of life" film with no room for fantasy, begs you to wonder if everything really does come to an end sooner or later.  Sundance agrees it's brilliant, as Gosling and Williams bring gritty truth to intimacy and the trials of life and love.

Blue Valentine
Source: wearemoviegeeks.com
TRUE GRIT
A) I love westerns. B) Bad-ass chicks rock.  This remake of the 1969 hit, brings Damon, Bridges, Brolin and newcomer Hailee Steinfield to the open range for some good ol' fashioned bounty-huntin' revenge.  Bridges shines and Steinfield impresses with this Christmas Day opener ya'll.  Now I want gun and a horse. 

True Grit
Source: Scenereleases.info

DISPICABLE ME
I keep quoting this adorable "fun-tasy" and yes,  in a Russian Spy accent thanks to Steve Carell.  This story has a loving message and spotlights a villian with a change-of-heart due to some inventive baby-sitting.  The villians's evil minions bring comedic silliness and family fun for all.  Its a film I can watch over and over and I'll never get tired of its themes and characters.
Dispicable Me "It's sooo Fluffy"
Source: Ramascreen.com
THE FIGHTER
Haven't seen this yet. Will review when I do.  But it has to be on the list, since Marky Mark and I are on a first name basis, "Say hi to your motha for me"  Christian Bale locked down the Golden Globe for his transformation and Wahlberg was the driving force behind the project that took awhile to make.
The Fighter
Source: observer.com

Movies I recommend:

The Kids Are Alright
Rabbit Hole
The Runaways
Toy Story 3
Iron Man 2
Book of Eli
Easy A
Love and Other Drugs
The Other Guys
Twilight Saga: Eclipse
The Lovely Bones
Tron
Going the Distance


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To be or not to be...different

Uh oh. Here comes another anecdotal and self-aware journal entry blog post. Yup. You guessed it. So, shall we?

via GIPHY
A lot has changed. New year, new President, new ban, new ideas...yet I am still me. New endeavors are in the midst.

I have since decreased most of my medications. And now I'm more me than I have been in 3 years. It's good and bad. I stopped therapy due to not having insurance but plan to go back once I find a new doc on my plan. Starting over....ugh. Not going to be fun.

But here I want to write down my struggle. I struggle to be who I think I need to be and who I am naturally. It's not about being cool or fitting in at this point. I already know I have a lot of "personality." About enough for two or three people. That's either your thing or it's not. Some call it quirky, unique, crazy, lots of different things. I've always had to edit myself in crowds and at work, in school...everywhere. That is why being on the stage was so easy for…

Candwich is back...back again!

The Candwich - Sandwich in a Can
The Candwich - Novelty? Gag Gift? Joke? Lunch? I'd say all of the above. This "sandwich in a can" is definitely silly and weird and I can't tell if it's the best thing in the world or the worst thing in world. Irregardless, I have had the opportunity of working with the Founder, Mark Kirkland, or as some call him the "Earl of Candwich." He is a genuine person and truly wants to give back and help "can" hunger. Mark is no stranger to controversy and has had his fair share of hiccups along the way in building his Candwich-opoly.

A Viral Sensation
Candwich went viral in 2010 when the New York Times broke the story about a rogue investor who ran a Ponzi Scheme and stole upwards of $145 million from creditors who wanted to invest in Mark One Foods Corp, Candwich's parent company. It took a long time to settle with creditors but Mark has successfully regained control of Candwich and wants to bring his sandwich in …

So this is thirty...

So this is thirty. I haven't been writing much because what you probably don't know is that my new job is to write. It's silly and something I fell into and I'd like for this blog and my many, many years of needing to express myself and tell stories to go into me finding this path. Once a storyteller, always a storyteller. I like to believe that this is true. Since I was young, I have had so much to say. More than most can keep up with. With that, I either entertained and wowed you or sent you running for the hills. Either way, I've learned from the cues and have worked to know where I fit in and when not to speak but when to write down. It started with journals, then poems, then songs, then this blog, more songs, and then I stopped. I transitioned from vomiting feelings on the page to thinking more strategically for an audience and thinking about my brand what I wanted to say to people who follow me. I don't know who realllly follows me, but if I w…