Skip to main content

Home Sweet Home

I feel like now that I live in an apartment with only one other person, the lovely Jessica Lyle, I can actually decorate.  Before I lived with two sisters and a friend and it was stuffed with their parents furniture and we were all claustrophobic and then I lived in a home with a 72 yr old lady whom I'd met while working at LMU.  Granted I cannot afford to collect and decorate a home and I am not in the place to amass "stuff" but I have my eye on making our little apartment a cozy home for us. 

We definitely try to keep the common areas clean so people can come over at any time.  I have to say we do a really good job of it, and I have never been this neat in my life.  I think living in an older woman's home trained me best because it was her home, and I only rented out a single room.  In that way I couldn't leave my stuff around.  I took all the with me and now I try to keep things in their places, which if you see my room is some sort of organized chaos in my eclectic little mix. 

The main things we need (not desperately but would make home more like home)
  • rugs- runners for hallway and another large area rug to keep the foot steps quiet and to warm up the joint.  I love our real hardwood floors but our lease says to cover 30% and people live below us.  I want something neutral or maybe a fun exotic print because our style meshes vintage, Andy Warhol pop art and neutrals.
  • Partisan table- for vase, mail, keys as you walk in
  • Desk- for my room.  I have a vanity for my jewelry and makeup, but I'm realizing more and and more I need a "station" if you will, to keep my music, bills, work stuff all in one spot instead of little file boxes stacked about.  I used to have a corner desk that was very useful but I sold it for $40 off craigslist when my apartment two years ago had no room for it.  I'm thinking something vintage, pine or oak with a couple drawers.  Modern doesn't suit my bedroom, but definitely small and I have just the spot for it if I rearrange a few things
  • Love seat, drawing room chair.  You know one of those cute ones, maybe leopard or zebra print with the Victorian arms and legs.  It would be a lovely addition to our living room and we have room for more seating. Would be cute with a rug and create a more homey feel since we have a large amount of open space in one section. 
  • Decorative Wall Mirrors and/or votives - Could add a nice touch but not necessary.
  • Frames - I need to get a large frame to make a Rocky Horror Collage.  I want to put in in my room or in the living room as a homage to my show in college.  I have newspaper article, pictures, tickets and a script.  Could be nice to put up to show what Ive done.  Wouldn't mind doing the same for the play, A Little Princess.  :)
  • Brown weaved basket - for the Bathroom mainly for towels for guests and to make the place look cute. It could even be a hamper if need be.  It would help with an empty space I've been trying to fill for sometime because it just looks so awkward.
I probably have a lot of other ideas because for some reason I am always thinking about what to add to the place.  But I have trouble thinking in big picture ways to tie a room together because I am so detail oriented.  So I rarely buy things even if I like them because I'm afraid not to like it and I reallllly hate returning things.  But I would like things to go together so that when I go home it doesn't feel empty.  There's a whole portion that feels empty and we've been trying to afford rugs and little things to make it all cozy.  It just takes time when you live paycheck to paycheck and are paying off a lot of debt.  I see cute things I like all the time but I will not buy it because food is more important.  One of my favorite pieces of furniture is my Victorian two drawers side table I found outside on the curb in Silver lake.  One of the best free things LA has had to offer me. 

So I'm keeping my eyes out for cute affordable ways to make our home a sweet one.

Happy Fall ! :)

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To be or not to be...different

Uh oh. Here comes another anecdotal and self-aware journal entry blog post. Yup. You guessed it. So, shall we?

via GIPHY
A lot has changed. New year, new President, new ban, new ideas...yet I am still me. New endeavors are in the midst.

I have since decreased most of my medications. And now I'm more me than I have been in 3 years. It's good and bad. I stopped therapy due to not having insurance but plan to go back once I find a new doc on my plan. Starting over....ugh. Not going to be fun.

But here I want to write down my struggle. I struggle to be who I think I need to be and who I am naturally. It's not about being cool or fitting in at this point. I already know I have a lot of "personality." About enough for two or three people. That's either your thing or it's not. Some call it quirky, unique, crazy, lots of different things. I've always had to edit myself in crowds and at work, in school...everywhere. That is why being on the stage was so easy for…

Candwich is back...back again!

The Candwich - Sandwich in a Can
The Candwich - Novelty? Gag Gift? Joke? Lunch? I'd say all of the above. This "sandwich in a can" is definitely silly and weird and I can't tell if it's the best thing in the world or the worst thing in world. Irregardless, I have had the opportunity of working with the Founder, Mark Kirkland, or as some call him the "Earl of Candwich." He is a genuine person and truly wants to give back and help "can" hunger. Mark is no stranger to controversy and has had his fair share of hiccups along the way in building his Candwich-opoly.

A Viral Sensation
Candwich went viral in 2010 when the New York Times broke the story about a rogue investor who ran a Ponzi Scheme and stole upwards of $145 million from creditors who wanted to invest in Mark One Foods Corp, Candwich's parent company. It took a long time to settle with creditors but Mark has successfully regained control of Candwich and wants to bring his sandwich in …

So this is thirty...

So this is thirty. I haven't been writing much because what you probably don't know is that my new job is to write. It's silly and something I fell into and I'd like for this blog and my many, many years of needing to express myself and tell stories to go into me finding this path. Once a storyteller, always a storyteller. I like to believe that this is true. Since I was young, I have had so much to say. More than most can keep up with. With that, I either entertained and wowed you or sent you running for the hills. Either way, I've learned from the cues and have worked to know where I fit in and when not to speak but when to write down. It started with journals, then poems, then songs, then this blog, more songs, and then I stopped. I transitioned from vomiting feelings on the page to thinking more strategically for an audience and thinking about my brand what I wanted to say to people who follow me. I don't know who realllly follows me, but if I w…