Skip to main content

No Vote Alex

I feel a little bit ashamed.  Maybe embarrassed.  I always considered myself someone who really cares about what goes on with government, enough to be a Republican and enough to be not just someone that sits on the sidelines and complains about regulation and taxes.  I for one love being able to vote and express my choices on the ballet every 2-4 years or so.  But this year I have failed my own voice by not registering.  It did sneak up on me and I'm not going to a university where then, I was constantly berated to Rock The Vote.  But I do feel a little left out now and honestly, ashamed.  I'm an adult.  I could've put it on my calendar or put a note in my blackberry to register so come Nov. 2nd I'd be ok.  But I didn't.  And now in this sorry and ridiculous run for governor of California I can't complain about what a shitshow it will be either way.  I cannot express how I feel about education or gay marriage or legalizing marijuana.  I can't vote so I can vote on fees and tariffs and I am truly disappointed in myself.  I mean I for one almost ended a relationship because my boyfriend at the time voted for someone because everyone else was.  It's like a waste of a vote if you do what's popular.  Do the work, find the fucking research, fuck liberal media.  And here I am hating myself for allowing blindness and laziness to silence me.  It's a lie if you think young people don't have the power to change the world.  We do.  Our entitlement wielding generation thinks things should go our way "just cuz" but that's not the way things work.  By the 300th Anniversary of USA in 2076 I hope I'm alive to see the longest standing nation, one that hopefully doesn't crumble in capitalist greed nor overtake in communist fascism.  The balance of competition and big business allows for the little guys to struggle to the top.  If we were all the same there'd be no reason to do anything now would there be.  Free Health care may work in Europe but I doubt it would ever work here.  America's too prude, too whiny, to "prissy" to put the whole group into one lot. Designer Private Health Care may be a bitch but should non citizens (illegal aliens) deserve free treatment for being here, paid by me? My money, and evidently somehow the social security check I'm never getting?  I say no.   

Despite the blending of classes in America you cannot deplete it completely because "there will be poor always pathetically struggling, you can't save them from their lot." (A.L.Weber) Some people will always be better at getting a head.  There's no handouts, no one "deserves" anything.  You either do the work or you don't.  You grow up where you do.  From the beginning of society, people sector into classes because some people just are capable and have the means to be the one's on top, you're born into it, or you have the drive to make it so.  Stop asking for freebies.  We have freedom to do as we please here, that includes getting a job, going to school, and being a good citizen.  You could even write a book or a song and say whatever you want and not get guillotined for it.  You may not be popular for saying what's on your mind (Kanye) but the point is, you own the power to choose it and do it. 

I am sorry California for letting you down.  As we say "hasta la vista" to Governor Schwarzenegger I can barely say whether or not I am proud of his work.  But I can say that as California's spending and existing debt crumbled along with America's recession we all feel the lightness of our wallets.  We all want solutions but none of us want our lifestyles to change.  Los Angeles is a greedy town and with it's own privileged haughtiness booms with business in times of economical turmoil.  The masses turn to entertainment to stave off hungry tummies and depression and see a world without our problems or maybe to feel like we're not alone.  With our sons and fathers at war and not asking or telling, there's many other issues at hand.  The President seems like a modern day Carter without any real things happening by which to congratulate.  We needed a leader who could form a sentence so we got one, what's next?  Notice there's nothing about race here, because there aren't any.  Aren't we all American.  Let freedom ring and vote!!

So we can get to, what's next.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

To be or not to be...different

Uh oh. Here comes another anecdotal and self-aware journal entry blog post. Yup. You guessed it. So, shall we?

via GIPHY
A lot has changed. New year, new President, new ban, new ideas...yet I am still me. New endeavors are in the midst.

I have since decreased most of my medications. And now I'm more me than I have been in 3 years. It's good and bad. I stopped therapy due to not having insurance but plan to go back once I find a new doc on my plan. Starting over....ugh. Not going to be fun.

But here I want to write down my struggle. I struggle to be who I think I need to be and who I am naturally. It's not about being cool or fitting in at this point. I already know I have a lot of "personality." About enough for two or three people. That's either your thing or it's not. Some call it quirky, unique, crazy, lots of different things. I've always had to edit myself in crowds and at work, in school...everywhere. That is why being on the stage was so easy for…

Candwich is back...back again!

The Candwich - Sandwich in a Can
The Candwich - Novelty? Gag Gift? Joke? Lunch? I'd say all of the above. This "sandwich in a can" is definitely silly and weird and I can't tell if it's the best thing in the world or the worst thing in world. Irregardless, I have had the opportunity of working with the Founder, Mark Kirkland, or as some call him the "Earl of Candwich." He is a genuine person and truly wants to give back and help "can" hunger. Mark is no stranger to controversy and has had his fair share of hiccups along the way in building his Candwich-opoly.

A Viral Sensation
Candwich went viral in 2010 when the New York Times broke the story about a rogue investor who ran a Ponzi Scheme and stole upwards of $145 million from creditors who wanted to invest in Mark One Foods Corp, Candwich's parent company. It took a long time to settle with creditors but Mark has successfully regained control of Candwich and wants to bring his sandwich in …

So this is thirty...

So this is thirty. I haven't been writing much because what you probably don't know is that my new job is to write. It's silly and something I fell into and I'd like for this blog and my many, many years of needing to express myself and tell stories to go into me finding this path. Once a storyteller, always a storyteller. I like to believe that this is true. Since I was young, I have had so much to say. More than most can keep up with. With that, I either entertained and wowed you or sent you running for the hills. Either way, I've learned from the cues and have worked to know where I fit in and when not to speak but when to write down. It started with journals, then poems, then songs, then this blog, more songs, and then I stopped. I transitioned from vomiting feelings on the page to thinking more strategically for an audience and thinking about my brand what I wanted to say to people who follow me. I don't know who realllly follows me, but if I w…